– 85g self-raising flour*
(or make your own using these estimates: 85g plain flour + 1 1/4tsp baking powder + 1/8 tsp salt)
– 70g all-purpose plain flour
– 113g unsalted butter, softened
– 170g caster sugar (140g is just right, in my opinion)
– 2 large eggs, at room temperature
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (or vanilla bean for even more intensity)
1. Preheat oven to 170°C (350°F).
2. Line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
6. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 20 to 25* minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
* At the 20-minute mark, reduce heat to 160°C (325°F). The tops of the cupcakes should be lightly golden.
8. Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.