Ready in: 50 minutes, plus cooling and setting
Makes: 12 cupcakes
– 150g extra-fine dark Swiss chocolate, broken up
– 150g unsalted butter, softened
– 150g golden caster sugar
– 3 large free-range eggs
– 150g self-raising flour
– 75ml soured cream
For the topping:
– 40g dark chocolate
– 260g salted caramel sauce
– Anglesey sea salt flakes, to decorate
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens). Line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin cases.
2. To make the cupcakes, gently melt the chocolate in a bowl, either over simmering water or in the microwave.
3. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, along with a spoonful of flour. Mix in the remaining flour, soured cream and melted chocolate, until combined.
4. Divide among the muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes, until risen and just firm to the touch. Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
5. For the topping, melt the chocolate as before, then leave to cool for a couple of minutes. Spread a generous dollop of the salted caramel sauce over the top of each cupcake, then swirl with melted chocolate. Sprinkle with a little salt. Leave for 30 minutes for the chocolate to set.
Per Cupcake: 400 calories, 5.4g protein, 38.6g carbohydrates, 28.7g sugar, 24.9g fat (15.1g saturated), 2.1g fibre, 0.36g salt.