Serves: 7 people
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
For the cake:
– 125g Simply M&S self-raising flour
– 100g Simply M&S butter
– 125g caster sugar
– 2 Simply M&S medium eggs
– 3 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
– 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
For the lemon icing glaze:
– 125g icing sugar
– 2 tablespoons warm water
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1/2 the lemon zest (for sprinkling afterwards)
1. Start by preheating your oven to 180°C.
2. Mix the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring between each.
4. Add the lemon juice, half the lemon rind and the poppy seeds. Then give it a good old mix.
5. Fold in half the flour at first, before folding in the other half. TIP: Don’t over mix!
6. Pour the mixture into a greased loaf baking tin.
7. Bake in the centre of your pre-heated oven for about 30-35 minutes (or until it’s nice and golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean from the centre).
8. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Now it’s the really delicious bit – making the icing…
1. To make the runny icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of warm water and mix slowly into a paste with the icing sugar.
3. Add the other tablespoon and repeat, until the mixture starts to come together.
4. Start adding the tablespoons of lemon juice one by one. Watch the mixture slowly coming together into a creamy, runny consistency (you’re looking for the consistency of a thick custard – so add more water or lemon juice if the mixture is still a little too thick).
5. Here’s the fun part – pour your icing over the cake and sprinkle with the remaining lemon zest. There’s something oddly satisfying about watching the icing dribble slowly over the edge of this sweet scented cake.
6. Make a cup of tea and enjoy a slice!
Per serving: 340 calories, 14.6g fat (8.2g saturated), 0.50g salt.