Ready in: 1 hour, plus cooling time
– 125g unsalted butter, softened
– 200g caster sugar
– Finely grated zest 1 unwaxed lemon, plus extra for decoration
– 2 large eggs, at room temperature, beaten
– 200g self-raising flour, sifted
– 100ml buttermilk
– 2 tsp lemon juice
For the frosting:
– 75g unsalted butter, softened
– 250g icing sugar, sifted
– 3 tbsp lemon curd
– Edible food colouring (optional)
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 (160°C for fan ovens). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until creamy. Beat in the sugar and zest, and beat for about 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add the eggs, a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Using a large metal spoon, fold in the flour in 3 batches alternately with the buttermilk. Add the lemon juice and mix in thoroughly.
3. Spoon the mixture evenly among the paper cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until light golden brown and just firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely before icing.
4. To make the frosting, beat the butter until creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar. When the mixture is smooth, beat in the lemon curd and colouring, if using. If necessary, chill until firm but spreadable. Ice the cupcake using a round-bladed knife or a piping bag fitted with a star tube. Sprinkle with the extra lemon zest.